Previously named the New Western Hotel, This Hotel was built by Charles Zimmerman for a cost of $7000.00. The Hotel’s Completion was marked by the installation of the back bar mirror, a piece so large the pure silver backing required shipboard guards to see it around the Cape of Hope and stage coach protection from San Francisco to Folsom. The Mirror’s two year journey ended in 1885.
Samuel Levits, the maker of the mirror, accompanied it on it’s journey. Levit’s only compensation for the mirror was passage to California. Eager to start his new life in the silver mines of Virginia City, he persuaded Zimmerman to give him the hotel keys so that he could work through the night to install the mirror. While cutting the mirror, Levits was cut severely and he died before dawn. Many nights, Levits can still be heard in the bar kicking the keys toward the locked front door in an effort to get out and get help.
Levits is not alone in the Folsom Hotel. Camille, and aloof woman who once served Zimmerman as a maid and cook in payment for her son’s education, is still present. She continues to help the present owners tidy up in the early morning hours, spending most of her time in the dining room and kitchen. Camille’s last name has been withheld because her educated son became a very important part of Folsom’s history and his descendants still reside along the American River.